16 days until the team’s first scrimmage at Rutgers. Time for us to start getting ready as well. Here are a few items to consider.
- Schedule – the schedule has been published and is probably pretty set although there can always be a few tweaks. A couple of interesting twists this year are two “doubleheader” weekends. The first is the Philadelphia Lacrosse Challenge when we play U. Penn on Friday, 3/8 and Drexel Sunday, 3/10. The second is two weeks later when we play at Fairfield on Saturday, 3/23 then at Brown on Monday, 3/25. This year, the regular season away game at Denver is on 4/6 and hopefully a follow up trip to Denver for the BigEast Championships the first weekend in May.
- Senior banquet – Traditionally, this is held the Friday before the last home regular season game but since that is Easter weekend, we need to do it the home game before vs Marquette. The Banquet is a celebration of the season with a farewell to the seniors. The entire team and coaching staff will attend and the parents of the players are invited. There will be more details as the season progresses but you can save the date for the banquet. It will be in the Talley Athletic Center’s O’Dea Terrace Lounge in the evening of Friday, 3/29.
- Hotels – Each family is on their own to arrange hotels for all away and home games. We were able to secure a discounted rate for you at the Devon Courtyard Marriott for your convenience if you need a hotel near Villanova. Details of the discount codes can be found in the previous post.
- Tailgates – Each class will be responsible for a tailgate starting with the Senior parents for the Rutgers game and rotating through each class each game. The responsible class will organize the main course and every family attending, regardless of class should use the tailgate signup sheet to bring other requested items. I will send a message at the beginning of each week with details of the following week’s tailgates. Included in that email will be a headcount spreadsheet to help estimate the number of people who will be at each tailgate.
- Tickets – Each player is able to leave two tickets at the Will Call window for guests. There are some restrictions on those tickets that make it a little cumbersome like you need a photo ID and must go directly into the stadium with no readmission. If your son is like most, regular reminders will be required each game. Another option is to get tickets through the ticket office. I expect any day now the University ticket office will have details for ordering game tickets. When I received that information, I will send it to you right away. If you decide to order tickets, there will be an option for season or individual game parking passes. It will save a step to get a pass with your tickets to ease the parking process on gameday.
- Website – I will do my best to keep this site updated with as much current information as possible. Please check this if you have a question to see if I have already posted the answer. If you don’t see the answer here, please send me an email because there are probably others with the same question. I will post the answer on the website and send a group email.
- Rutgers Scrimmage – Rutgers has an indoor field should the weather not cooperate for this scrimmage. The decision won’t be made until the week of the scrimmage so it will be a little hard to coordinate but here is the tentative plan. Should the game be moved inside the bubble, there is no room for spectators. If the game is played outside, we will attend and tailgate in a parking lot like normal. More details on the Rutgers tailgate will be coming soon.
- Tailgate fund payment – I think most families have sent Peter Black their assessment fee. This fee covers tailgates, the banquet and other misc costs. If you have not yet discussed or sent that to him, please try to do it soon. Here is the previous post for details.
Times have been added for many of the TBD games. Coach said that this schedule is pretty set although there can always be some changes. One important item is for the Rutgers game. They have a dome and the decision will be made just prior to the game if it will be played outside or in the dome. The impact to us is that there is no room for spectators inside the dome. If the game is moved inside the dome, we will not be able to go in and watch.
The apparel page has been updated with three stores. Each has a different vendor, deadline, and delivery date. Below are the details of each store:
- Belts – There are two options. The first store has closed but the second store will only be open until Friday, 12/7. If you want to order one of the J.T. Spencer belts, you need to contact Sean Haggerty by Friday.
- Club headcovers – Orders placed by 12/14 will be ready by Christmas.
- The apparel store is now open until 12/14/18. Merchandise will be ready by the Rutgers scrimmage in Jan. If you have two players and want to add both numbers, email Joe.Trezza@lacrosseunlimited.com directly and he will make arrangements.
I have a game change to pass on to you from Coach Corrado.
Our Georgetown game date has been changed. The game originally scheduled for Saturday, April 13 has been moved to Sunday, April 14. Game time is 1 PM. Please pass this on to our parents. Thank you.
I got the following message from Coach Corrado.
Hope this helps those of you trying to make travel plans.
Have a great Thanksgiving. See you in New Brunswick in 65 days.
At the Courtyard Devon, we will be offering a 15% off promotion specifically for the Villanova Wildcats Lacrosse team. There are 3 ways to make reservations with this discount:
- Use this link, and the discount at the Courtyard Devon will automatically populate: Book your corporate rate for Wildcats Lacrosse
- Call into the hotel to make a reservation. Be sure to mention you want to book the ‘Wildcats Lacrosse’ rate (since this is a rate specific to your team, we built the rate as Wildcats Lacrosse and not Villanova, to avoid confusion)
- Visit Marriott.com online or on the mobile App and use the Corporate Code: “V55” in the Special Rates – Corporate/Promo field:
Let me know if you have any questions at all! We look forward to having the parents stay at our hotel!
1. Additional Scrimmage – Tue, 10/9
An additional scrimmage has been added on Tue, 10/9 @4:30PM vs Haverford College at Villanova Stadium. The team is allowed two scrimmages in the fall so they added this to get some of the guys a few more runs. Coach asked me to mention it if anyone wanted to come but he said it would be very low key and it is like a practice. We will not have a parent tailgate but will get some subs for the boys. If anyone going wants to bring something for the team, some Gatorades and maybe some fruit. I think the bananas were a big hit this weekend so that would be great.
2. Photo Dropbox
I’ve modified the Photo Dropbox to add subfolders for each game. If you have any photos to add, just drag and drop them into there for group sharing. If you upload to a sharing site, just send me the link and I’ll post that so you don’t need to bother and upload them twice.
3. Home game Hotel
The Courtyard Marriott in Devon (where we had the meet and greet) has contacted me about extending an invitation for anyone staying over for games or other Villanova events to stay with them. I told them I would be happy to forward their information to the group if they put together a promotional code for our group. They are doing that and I’ll get it to you as soon as I get it so you have that before the schedule comes out.
4. Apparel Order
Our apparel vendor is anxiously awaiting some backordered items from NIke so they can finish our orders. As soon as they receive the product, they will get our orders processed and shipped. We will let you know as soon as we get an update on expected timing.
Dear Parents – Since Loyola has very strict tailgating rules, we have decided to hold all parent festivities off site. All are invited to attend the pre-game & post-game celebrations.
The pre-game will be held at Mt. Washington Tavern – 5700 Newbury St, Baltimore, MD 21209. (3.1 Miles from field – 9 minutes)
https://www.mtwashingtontavern.com/ We will plan to pre-game in the front bar area from 10:30-12:00pm.
Game will be held at Loyola University @ 1pm – Ridley Sports Complex – 2221 W. Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, MD 21211
After the game, we will meet up with the boys behind the stadium for a short grab-n-go player tailgate. The Junior Parents will be providing more details.
After our short postgame with the boys, the group will head back over to the Mt. Washington Tavern for a group postgame celebration in the Sky Bar on the 3rdfloor. This area has been reserved for Villanova Lax Parents. (Kids welcome!)
Please note that parking is limited in the Mt. Washington area. There is metered parking on the street but your best bet would be to use the Valet Parking at the Mt. Washington Tavern for flat rate of $6.
Please email Cathleen Kinnear at Ckinnear1@verizon.net with your plans so she can let Mt. Washington know an accurate headcount.
I look forward to seeing everyone next weekend in Baltimore!!
Dear All Villanova Lacrosse families,
Welcome to all our freshmen families and welcome back to our upperclassmen. I was asked to handle our Tailgate Fund checkbook this year. We had $3,782 left over from last year and I opened a checking account at PNC Bank with that money. I believe we can maintain the same per player assessment this year as we have done in the past. We are asking for $550 per senior player and $500 for each underclassman.
This assessment covers all tailgate food, supplies, senior banquet, coaches’ gifts, senior player gifts and anything else that arises.
If you would kindly mail me a check at your earliest convenience for the amount for your son(s), that will keep us afloat through the Fall into the Spring season. Maura and I look forward to meeting you next week!
220 Edgerstoune Road
Princeton, NJ 08540
We look forward to seeing everyone in two weeks at the Courtyard-Marriott in Devon for the Meet and Greet. Lunch will be provided and we’ll start at 11:00am. At 11:00am we have a couple of speakers to address the group about Villanova Athletics as well as the growing Alumni support. By 2:00pm we will be wrapping up so everyone can head over to the football game if they wish. The lacrosse tailgate at the football game will be a light version since we will have just finished eating.
Alumni Game Weekend:
The Friends of Villanova Lacrosse (FOVL) Alumni Assoc will be holding its initial mentoring event for our players & their parents before the Alumni game on 9/29 on Campus. This mentoring will be set-up by tables according to career disciplines. It will be held from 9:30 am to 11 am.
Following the mentoring session, the FOVL AA will be holding their annual fall meeting from 11 am to 12:30 pm. All are invited to attend.
After the FOVL AA meeting, the Alumni will tailgate at their usual spot behind the Stadium from 12:30 pm to the 2 pm. The alumni hold a separate pregame tailgate to assure compliance with NCAA rules. Our families will get a chance to combine with the alumni at the postgame tailgate hosted by the Villanova coaching staff.
Alumni game starts at 2:00 and will feature a game between the our current team and recent alumni players.
The coaches will be hosting the tailgate for both the alumni and team families after the game. We will bring the desserts and drinks and the signup sheet is revised to reflect these items.
We will be playing our fall scrimmage on October 6, 2018 at 1:00PM vs. Loyola University. The game will be played at the Ridley Athletic Complex in Baltimore, MD. Cathleen Kinnear is working on the tailgate plans. The tailgating rules at Loyola might limit us to a grab and go for the team and we are investigating local establishments for pre and post game options. We will have specifics clarified and sent out soon.
Friends of Villanova Lacrosse Annual Golf Outing:
This year the outing will be hosted by Sean Haggerty on Thursday, October 11, 2018 and will be played at Plandome Country Club in Plandome, NY. If you can’t play there are numerous other ways to support this fundraising event. For more information and to register,visit here. If you have any questions about the event, email Brian Beacham (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 610-519-4566.
Message from Sean Haggerty: